Friday 14 October 2011

A little Amazon Kindle Bleg

Look, Amazon, we're friends, right? You and me, we go way back to when you started offering paper books for free delivery while I was a poor student. Love the random crap I can buy from you, and the stupid but entertaining ways we netizens can use your feedback columns for ironic and/or comedic hyperbolic ends.

BUT.

Stop trying to get me to buy a kindle by "improving" it. I don't care. I don't want an always-on cellular modem on it. I'm not too picky about touchscreens, though I guess they're nice. You want me to buy a kindle, here's what you have to do. It's pretty simple:

1. Let me read in any format I choose and buy books for it from wherever I want.

2. Agree that when I buy a book on a kindle it becomes MY property, not YOURS under license.

3. Don't use it as an advertising platform. When I put down a kindle, I don't want it to decide this is an opportunity to sell me something. Anything. Even if it's the BEST. NEW. WHATEVER.

That's about it. Until such time as you can announce these things in a way that causes me to believe you, stop sending me the ads. They won't work.

Sincerely yours,

Vellum

No comments: